Are you an organized individual? Would you enjoy the dynamics of a hospital atmosphere or other health related setting? If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, and you're a team player, this program is for you. This 24 week program is designed to provide the student with the skills and knowledge necessary for employment in a hospital nursing unit as well as other health care settings. Health Unit Coordinators (Ward Clerks) are responsible for transcribing and processing physicians' orders, completing requisitions to meet unit needs, performing record keeping duties relating to patients' charts from admission to discharge, assisting in payroll entry functions as requested, and performing other duties as assigned. Graduates of this program may be employed in various health related settings, including: hospitals, physicians' offices, nursing homes, medical clinics, or other areas where medical clerical employees are needed.
• Health Unit Operations
• Working as a Health Unit Coordinator
• Interpersonal Communication
• Introduction to Microsoft Office: Word and Excel
• Document Formatting
• Introduction to Computers
• Health Unit Coordinator Work Practicum
• Work Safety
• Introduction to Basic Medical Terminology
• Advanced Medical Terminology
• Processing Medication Orders
• Medical Order Entry
To be successful in this career, graduates of this program must be willing to work a variety of hours, enjoy working in a fast-paced and demanding team environment, and have excellent communication skills because the Health Unit Coordinator is the link between patients, family and the health care team.
Persons seeking admission to this training should:
• Posess a High School Diploma, Adult High School Diploma, or GED Diploma
• Proof of a physical examination and immunization prior to the commencement of training by following instructions on the standard NBCC medical form
• Satisfactory criminal record check using the Canadian Police Information Centre
Duration This Health Unit Coordinator Program is 24 weeks long, and begins in September.
Fees and Requirements
Student Council: $80